Friday, December 4, 2009

Hello Blogging World!

I have always been an avid follower/reader of various blogs in the past few months and had written one post long back on an India-Aus T20 match but didn't follow up on that ever.Finally I have mustered enough courage to be a regular blogger after dear friend A started his own blog (on guess what!Astronomy!).It's just writing a few lines,but it's terrifying at the same time.I have yet to decide whether I would blog about any specific theme:-Cooking,Music,Movies.
My hobbies range from quizzing,cooking,reading,singing to gardening,programming,travelling and many more.And yes,I am an avid follower of the movies.So I was at a fix,and I didn't know where to start.Finally,I have decided to go slow and so for the time being it's going to be pretty much ANYTHING UNDER THE SUN.
My best friend N called me while I was writing the first paragraph and just how BEST FRIENDS always manage to solve your problem without even knowing you have one,she gave me the idea while I was racking my brain.She was at a Chandrabindoo Concert and had been kindly calling me up to give me some "live" music experience,through the mobile phone. Chandrabindoo is a very successful bengali music band,tremendously popular amongst the youth and not-so-young alike,and their usp is their amazing lyrics.They write pure poetry,much like another all-time favourite of mine,Sting.
I'm posting a portion of one of their songs here as a poem,and attempting to translate it,albeit a very mediocre attempt.The song is called "Bondhu Tomaay" which translates as "Friend,To You" and is an amazing piece that evokes nostalgia.I don't know about others,but I surely miss my school and childhood days.I had initially planned to translate the whole song into english,but the fact of the matter remains,the song in itself is such a complex yet hauntingly beautiful play with words,that a "foreign" language would not do justice to it plus I'm no Tagore.
I'm sure a lot of us,growing up in the late 80's early 90's mid 90's Indian cities and towns fondly recall the afternoon playing session with friends from the neighbourhood.I used to be the first person to rush out to the playground(the fact that it was bang opposite my ground-floor flat and hardly a few steps does count though :P) and my maid would have to drag me back well past play-time.The song is a toast to those wonderful days and how much we grown-up adults miss them. This song specially goes out to my friend S,who is buried under a truck-load of studies for her Master's Degree in far away Bangalore.
Here's the first paragraph of the song in original with my lame attempts at translating:


BONDHU TOMAAY /(FRIEND,TO YOU!)

----------------------------------------

Chhera ghuri rongin ball eitukui shombol
(A torn kite,a coloured ball,that's all we had)

aar chhilo roddure pawa bikelbelaa
(And we had the sun-lit afternoons)

baje boka ratri din asterix tintin
(Endless talks about what not,the comics asterix and tintin)

elomelo katha ure jeto hasheer thyalaay
(the meaningless words would fly away in our sheer laughter and joy)

shey hashi chhute jeto godhuli michhile
(the laughter ran forth into the twilight crowds)

shobaar alokkhete tumio ki chhile
(Were you there as well,unnoticed by anyone?)

hawaay hawaay hawaay hawaay
(Blowing in the breeze)

bondhu tomaay e gaan shonabo bikel belaay
(Friend,to You, I sing this song, in the afternoon)

aar ek baar jodi tomader dole nao khelaay
(If only I could go back and play with you all, just one more time)

bondhu tomaay e gaan shonabo bikel belaay
(Friend,to You,I sing this song ,in the afternoon)



If you like what you read you could listen to the song on Youtube.

That's all for my first post.I got to go watch Lord of The Rings:The Two Towers.Have I mentioned already that I watch atleast 10-15 movies per week?Well,now you know :)!!!

Have a great week-end everyone!Adios!

1 comment:

  1. wonderful attempt to decode that songs, and its really an effort to translate such beautiful song into some foreign language which it wasnt meant to be.....
    and sure if you stil want to decide which topic you want to write..let it be cooing first :) we share atleast that in common

    ReplyDelete